Staying Healthy During Flu Season
Well, it feels like autumn is well upon us! It turned chilly so quickly, and I think every golden leaf has flown from my oak trees. Sad, as I was enjoying their splendor. Ahh, bring on winter! It's also a reminder that flu season is upon us, and it's time to start thinking about protecting yourself from nasty little illness critters.
The old philosophy that prevention greatly outweighs a cure is still my favorite. All the things your mom always told you are still important: get plenty of rest, eat well, drink lots of water, take Vitamin C, and avoid places where a lot of sick people hang out. One of the most important preventive measures (but one of the least favorite) is to stay away from sweets. Not something you want to hear on Halloween and right before two major sugar holidays! But if you feel an illness coming on, do your best to avoid sugars.
Homeopathic Flu Shots
- Scientifically proven effective
- May be used for both prevention and treatment of viral infections
- Stimulates the non-specific defense system (immunomodulator)
- Suitable for the entire family
- No known contraindications and very well tolerated
- May be combined with other natural or conventional immunomodulating therapies and medications
Some Other Helpful Ideas
- Eat or take garlic
- Eat lots of colored foods (polyanthocyanogens). Sorry, Skittles don't count! How about some dark green leafy veggies, carrots, beet tops, broccoli, etc...
- Take Colostrum - 3 caps a day for maintenance. At the first sign of and during illness, take 5 caps every 2 hours.
- Take Alpha Lipoic Acid (100mg) once a day for maintenance. At first sign of illness take 100mg every 2 hours.
- "Warm Sock Therapy" Get 2 pairs of socks, one cotton or cotton blend, one 100% wool. Wet the cotton socks in cold water and wring them out. Get ready for bed (you can even place feet in a hot bath for 5 minutes beforehand), then place the wet cotton socks on feet. Cover with the dry wool socks and go to sleep. This increases blood circulation over the whole body while you sleep. It can take a 3-10 day flu or cold and have you over it in 1-3 days.
- Mucococcinum - place 1 tablet under tongue each week during flu season. At first sign of flu take 1 tablet every day until feeling better. This gently activates the body's natural defense mechanisms as protection against the flu. It directly stimulates the immune system, thus providing protection from the very bacteria and virus fractions that it is homeopathically made from.
If you would like more information about how to stay healthy during the cold-weather months or would like to schedule an appointment, please feel free to give us a call.
Stay Warm and Healthy,